Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:47:54

Hi Don,

The only people who play equal temperament are the keyboard players. The
rest of the world doesn't. The other problem is that it is impossible to
satisfy *all* the conditions of ET with any temperament sequence. The very
best is only an approximation of truely ET.

Personally having lived and eaten approximate ET for ever I find even a
master tuner doing even a mild ET leaves the piano simply sounding "out of
tune" to my ear. However tuning and temperaments are a matter of taste and
I'd certainly not put down anyone who likes something I don't.

At 04:01 PM 4/3/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>I suppose, if your goal is to sound "just as crappy as Mozart did", you can
>have your piano tuned like that and give a nice little solo concert.  You
>can even dress in period attire.  While your at it, why not turn off the
>central heating and light the stage with coal oil lamps.
>
>This is fine if you're just doing it for novelty, playing for non-musicians,
>or just fiddling around.  But if you want to seriously play, compose, or jam
>in the real, modern world, you'd better use ET.  Fortunately, virtually all
>professionals do.
>
>Don

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca