Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:58:23 -0600

I think alternate tunings are a proverbially elusive carrot on a stick.  If
you are going to play polyphonic music, ET (with maybe a little stretch for
inharmonicity) is the only practical solution.

Ever since ET was instituted, musicians (who are not always the most
scientific lot) have heard that it "compromises" the pure, sonorous musical
intervals.  As long as that eats away in their skulls they will always seek
a way to get at those intervals.  The problem is that many of them are
mathematically challenged and are convinced that there must be some way to
tweak the pitches and achieve a superior temperament.  After all, if C to G
is 0.1% flat in ET, why can't you just raise it to a perfect 3:2?

But when you go tampering with ET, as everyone in this group knows, there
are two detrimental effects that take place.  First of all, a note means
something different musically depending on its context.  If you sharpen that
G you can get a slightly better fifth with C, but G might later be used as
the base of a G chord, or the middle note of a Db, or any other function,
even if you stay in the same key.  Secondly, even an ordinary major diatonic
scale will sound different in different keys.  So not only can you not
modulate within a key, none of your keys will will function alike.  And this
is due to changing only a single note!

I wish I had a nickel for every person who asks me if I will be able to
produce a justly intoned piano.  They just don't realize how useless that
really is.  Unfortunately, as long as that carrot dangles there, they will
be convinced that there is a panacea that awaits them.

Don