Fwd: tapered pinblocks

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 10:37:44 EST

-------------------------------1081006664
In a message dated 4/2/2004 9:10:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
writes:
 HI  David
 A different version of the remedy that Terry suggested is to fit the block
completely however you want it first & then with the block dry fit in the case
mark the treble end glue joint with a pencil line from underneath the block.
Remove the block. I then use a porter cable laminate trimmer to reduce only
the thickness of the block at the glue joint or bottom side. Is that clear? This
lowers it to the overall height you want but the block now hangs lower than
the stretcher. Now to solve this I start with a hand power planer to hog of the
most of the material then finish up with whatever hand planes you have/wish a
Terry suggested. Your basically freehanding a tapered cut.
  One caveat though is that often with the block screwed to the plate in the
dry fit mode you'll notice that there may be a small tapered gap at between
the treble pinblock end & the shelf with the block screwed to the plate. Or
usually the front edge is touching but there is a space towards the back. You may
have to cut a fine tapered shim or maple veneers on the tablesaw to fill in
the glue joint.
 As you probably know STWY has an extravagant set up to fit the top of the
block to the plate flange which us lowly underlings can't afford.
  Dale
I'm curious what others might do in this situation.  Steinway pianos
frequently taper the thickness of their pinblocks at the treble end.  One I
am replacing now (without replacing the soundboard or bridgecaps--not my
job, so not my choice) is tapered from 1 1/2" in the bass down to 1 3/8" in
the treble.  The choices are to use a 1 1/2" block and remove material in a
gradual taper, or to use a 1 3/8" block and shim the bass end higher which
will then not have the block flush with the bottom of the stretcher on the
bass end.

The best solution short of replacing the board would probably be to replace
the bridge caps.  Unfortunately, it is not an option on this job.

Should I choose to taper the block, who can suggest a good power planer
that will do the job quickly and efficiently.  My little Craftsman can't
handle it.

Any other suggestion or ideas are appreciated.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

An embedded message was scrubbed...