kimball advice

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 07:04:24 -0800

I was called to work on a Kimball console piano this week.  Manufactured
about 1957.  The name decal says kimballette?? It was 169 cents flat.  I did
a pitch raise and tune, and all went well.  The problem is that the keys
bottom out on the front rail felts before achieving let off.  The dip is
only about 6 mm.   I removed the keys and cleaned and vacuumed, and also
removed the key slip to measure the key height.  The front rail of the key
frame stands above the key bed some 3 or 4 MM.  This is even across the
front of the front rail key frame.  The balance rail seems to be correct and
bedded on the key bed.  The balance rail felts are good, and appear to be
sufficient in thickness.  The front  rail that is high is consistent in
being off of the key bed from bass end of the piano to the treble.  There is
dirt and trash between the rail and the key bed that I did not try to clean
out as I would have had to remove the key frame to get to it.  There appears
to be some sort of spacer on a couple of the screws that hold down the key
frame which seems to be there specifically to keep the front rail spaced as
it is.  It does not appear that the frame or key bed is warped.  The piano
has not been worked on previously so I don't think the problem is a former
job gone bad.

The piano was left in a garage for the past several years, and now has been
given to the present owner.  The finish is in good shape, and the strings
are clean and tuned up well, the pins are nice and tight.  The balance rail
and front rail felts are good as is the back cloth.  The keys are not
warped.

Everything looks like it would work well if I just removed the key frame,
clean underneath and replace it so that it is flat to the keybed.  Then the
keys should have proper dip, even if some adjustment with felts needs to be
done.  Should I just put in thicker balance rail felts to achieve the proper
dip????

What am I missing?????  Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this piano
would have this type of problem.  Your thoughts would be gratefully
accepted.

I have a couple of weeks to figure it out while the owner is on a trip.  I
am to go back to work on the piano at the end of April.

Ed Carwithen

PTG associate

John Day, OR