Non-ETs; more organic than ET?

John M. Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:37:10 -0600

Tom,

Regarding various checks for unequal tunings, you'd use many of the same
ones. E.g., for the bass, m3-M6 for a 6:3 octave and M3-M10 for a 4:2.  Or,
you can compare the double octave with an octave-fifth. If they beat about
the same, it will sound fine. In fact, I use the latter test with ET a lot
of the time. It's fast.

There are all kinds of tests for different octave sizes which would be the
same as in ET. I'd have to get my Big Red book out to give an example, but
there are tests for all octave sizes: 2:1, 4:2, 6:3, 8:4, 12:6, etc. If
memory serves correctly, these tests work regardless of temperament. We just
get used to using them a certain way when tuning ET.

Expanding upward from the temperament octave, you'll mostly tune either 4:2
or 6:3 octaves depending on your preference. Same tests as in ET. The major
difference is that the intervals don't ascend evenly as in ET. For instance,
you wouldn't use the ascending M-10ths as a test. I typically tune the
double octave to beat the same as the octave plus a fifth. E.g., C3-C5 beats
about the same a F3-C5.

I had the same kind of questions when I first began adding unequal
temperaments to my skill set. But, once you get out of the ET only mindset,
it's really about the same without the evenly ascending intervals. Tuning
unequal temperaments aurally helped me learn to tune ET better. When you
learn what a truly just interval sounds like instead of tuning everything
"equally out of tune," it all falls into place better. At least it did for
me.

I didn't understand the "organic" reference either.

John Formsma