Non-Equal Temperaments

Corte Swearingen cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:21:40 -0600

Well, I purchased the Pitch-Lock coupler kit and installed them on my
Yamaha U1 upright.  Installation on an upright is a little more difficult
than on a grand and I found the installation tool kept slipping off the
coupler so it took me about an hour to install the set.  Pitchlock says you
can slide the couplers into place with the action is still in the piano but
I tried this and found it too difficult.  I decided to remove the action
for the installation.

Now, let me preface this my saying this is just my opinion.  In addition, I
haven't been tuning for all that long and am not nearly as experienced as
some of you.  But, I had a difficult time getting the piano in tune after
installation.  The manual recommends tuning unisons as you go but I prefer
using a strip mute so maybe that added to my frustration.  I also found the
tolerances of the couplers themselves to vary slightly.  Sometimes I had to
loosen one before installation and at other times, they were too loose from
the outset.  For the price of these little things, I would have expected
more consistency.  I don't doubt that they work because the videotape that
came with the kit clearly demonstrates how locked unisons will tend to
synchronize their frequencies.  However, I couldn't get them to work well.
And, after a few days, I had to remove the couplers and retune the
instrument.

Corte

                      "Carl Meyer"
                      <cmpiano@comcast.        To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      net>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Non-Equal Temperaments
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      04/02/2004 03:00
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

I notice that you didn't include your definite opinions about the
"pitch-lock" thingees.

If you don't want to share with the list please share with me privately.

Thanks

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.             cmpiano@comcast.net