Non-Equal Temperaments

Corte Swearingen cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:51:31 -0600

Since most of my clients only tune 1-2 times per year, it sounds like I'd
be doing them a disservice by tuning anything other than ET.  Of course, a
lot of my clients own small spinets and consoles and claim that they can't
tell when it's out of tune (even when it's terribly out of tune).

Thanks for the feedback.

Corte

                      Conrad Hoffsommer
                      <hoffsoco@martin.        To:       Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      luther.edu>              cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Non-Equal Temperaments
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      04/02/2004 01:26
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Corte,

>On 2-apr-04, at 15:48, Corte Swearingen wrote:
>>Hello List,
>>
>>My question is this.  I'm wondering if unequal temperaments tend to sound
>>like they are going out of tune quicker than equal temperament.  My
>>reasoning is that if some of the notes are already altered from equal
>>temperament, isn't there less of a "window" of pitch shift before the
piano
>>starts to sound out of tune?  Does this seem to be a valid question
and/or
>>concern?

Unequal temperaments frequently have PURE fifths, fourths and/or
thirds.  Therefore, if the tuning starts to slip and one of these pure
intervals is beating, it is IMMEDIATELY recognisable as being out of tune.

No ifs, ands, or buts.  It _is_ or it _isn't_ PURE.

Also, that pure interval is frequently the other side of one which is real
close to being a "wolf".  One common note slipping can not only "temper" a
pure interval, but create a REAL nasty interval out of one which had been
only borderline nasty.

Tempering is controlled mis-tuning.  In equal temperament, NOTHING is pure
except unisons.  Not even octaves - take your pick... 2:1, 6:3, 4:2   They
are all different.

Can you listen to a major third which theoretically should beat at 9.7, but

happens to be beating at 9.6 or 9.5, and IMMEDIATELY tell that it is slow
without a machine or using several checks?

There is more "wiggle room" in equal temperament than in a temperament
which uses pure intervals.

My 2.1¢ - readily discernable from 2.0¢

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice