worm

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:32:56 -0600

Many , many years ago, in another life time I worked in the service shop

of an instrument wholesaler/distributor of instruments. One of the
things sold
were accordions imported from Italy. This particular acc. was ,and still
is considered
one of the top instru. in the industry. One day a customer called and
wanted to know if
he could bring in his acc. for service, as he was experiencing strange
problems. The
problem was that there was sawdust seeping thru the bellow frame out on
to his clothing.
Well we took this acc. apart and discovered dust everywhere inside the
reeds, switch slides
etc.  As there was no opening which would point to the spot that this
little critter entered, it
was assumed that he was in the wood when the instrument was
manufactured. Just lucky to
have been spared when the saw was doing its job. We suppossed that there
may have been
others who weren't so fortunate. In any case we had this guy analized at
the university, and
they thought that he was indigenous to the Italian mountains, so
probably was in the wood.
If I remember correctly, he/she was about 3/8 in. long. and 3/16 in.
thick. He was probably
really plastered by the time he got to the university, because we put
him in a jar of alcohol, so
he probably didn't mind the trip. I supposse after all those years of
dust, he should have been
pretty dry, you think???? ( sorry about that )
We hoped that they knew this to be factual, and left it at that. Of
course the customer was
given a new instrument, under warranty. This was the only time in about
40 years where
it occured, that I'm aware of. I suspect it could have happened more
times.

Carl / Winnipeg