Source for brass flanges for 1900's Chickering grand?

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:21:41 -0800

>From the looks of things I'd say you are a little passed "repair".  =
Those hammers look quite attractive too.  I would recommend tossing in =
the whole lot for all new parts and modify whatever rail configuration =
there is for modern flanges.  Brass has a tendency to become very =
brittle with age which is the culprit for the cracking you are getting =
now.  If you have a few bad ones now you can pretty much count on all of =
them failing in the relatively future.  I've seen this many times.  It's =
kind of like old plastic spinet elbows, once a few break the rest aren't =
far behind.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  Subject: Source for brass flanges for 1900's Chickering grand?

  Hi,

  We're working on a 6'4" Chickering grand from the 1900's.  A handful =
of the brass hammer flanges have cracks right at the groove that holds =
the center pin (see attached photos).  What's the best way to repair =
this?  Is it possible to find replacement flanges?  The end of the rep =
lever has a curve in it to match the drop screw of the flange, so I =
wonder if it's possible to replace hammers, shanks, and flanges as a =
unit without affecting the wips, too.

  Thanks,

  --Cy Shuster--
  Rochester, MN