contamination problems

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:47:59 EST

List,

My piano's been playing funny lately, ever since I put teflon powder on the
backchecks...

April Fool's!

But seriously, I have been dealing with graphite contamination in center pins
lately.  I've been "tuning" for a client for a year or so, but tuning is only
a small part of my half-day visits.  Most of the appointment time is spent
repinning flanges in this new fairly Samick 150 grand with PianoDisc.  To date,
I've probably repinned 50 assorted whippen(sp.:-), hammer, jack, and balancier
centers, and even one damper flange(frozen solid, hanging damper).

The upside is that I've gotten really fast and efficient at doing this.  The
downside is getting phone calls the day before my big party, complaining of
"sticky notes,"  and the associated emergency appointment at 8:00 on Saturday
morning.

A few days ago, I got a call from a dealer I contract for.  He complained of
sluggishness in a Seiler 180 grand.  I figured that it just needed key easing,
as have several of the ones I've worked on.  Instead, I found that the keys
were fine for the most part, but the hammer centers on many of the notes,
particularly in the middle of the piano, were really tight.  I found graphite on
the pins that I replaced.  I fear that this piano with Renner action will go the
way of the Samick.  Interestingly, though, only the hammer centers in the
Seiler are binding.  I'm hoping that the whippen and damper centers are free of
the gunk, but I'm not holding my breath.

I know I should do a blanket replacement of all pins, but it's up to the
owners to figure out how to pay for it.

Similar experiences, recommendations or suggestions are welcome

Dave Stahl