Balance Rail Holes - Worn

barr8345@bellsouth.net barr8345@bellsouth.net
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:08:00 -0600

Terry,
In the piano, shift the key forward and back to determine where the wear is. Are the keys actually different lengths or are they just shifted due to the elongated balance holes. Tightening up the holes should straighten out the keys.
Norm Barrett
Memphis Chapter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: Balance Rail Holes - Worn

How does one determine the perfect position for the shim? I can imagine this to be a fairly easy task on an action that has keys of equal length. But this piano is a nine-foot Wissner where the bass keys are longer than the treble keys - so its not like I can just set up a jig with a "good" key and make the repairs to match the "good" key - all the keys are different lengths. Ideas?

Terry Farrell