Power tools and noise ratings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 01:12:27 -0700

The best way to judge the db levels is to do your own tests at the hardware
stores. First stop by Radio Shack and purchase A db Meter. They are fairly
inexpensive. That way you will have your own data, etc.
As this "problem" is becoming more and more apparent to manufacturers,
you'll find that many tools have been made to run quieter. I've found this
to be true with the new compressor I acquired recently and the shop vac,
(two of the loudest. Only exceeded by, of course, the Router!<G> ). I have a
list of such measurements, regarding my tools, from my class on "The Stigma
of Hearing Loss". However, it only lists my stuff. Besides, I'd have to dig
through a lot of paper to find it.<G> :-( If you really want it, I'll do the
"digging". Another approach would be to examine your shop and it's
Acoustics, (or lack thereof), and possibly put in some acoustical dampeners,
etc. A good book is the one available for Recording by Musicians, or some
such title, that is sold by music stores and catalogues.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I