RC vs CC again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:53:06 -0500

>What can I say, Ron.  That's life.  People like Wayne Stuart and Ron Overs
>have to live with the fact that every one of their pianos has to be better
>than the best Steinway that the pianist has ever heard, or thinks he has
>heard, or they will condemned out of hand.  It's not fair, but it's human
>nature.

It certainly seems to be.

>I'm not trying to categorize non-professional pianists as unworthy. But I
>think there may be a distinction between a performance piano and a home
>piano, just like there's a distinction between a Ferrari and a Toyota.  To
>get the Ferrari performance, you do a lot of maintenance, you put up with
>a lot of quirkiness, give up some comfort, etc.  Professional drivers put
>up with that.  The guy commuting to work every day does not.  If it
>happens to be true that a high performance piano achieves its sound by
>putting itself on a path to self destruction,  then a professional pianist
>would probably be willing to accept this, a home pianist probably
>not.  So, perhaps this person should have bought an A- piano rather than
>an A+ piano.

Reasonable enough.

>>>They probably would be interested in longevity, but only if you could
>>>assure them that they wouldn't have to make any sonic sacrifices to get
>>>it.  These pianos represent a tiny percentage of the piano population,
>>>maybe 1 % or less.  What I might call an A+ piano.
>>
>>Why would anyone have to assure them of anything? They would bring their
>>subjective hearing criteria to the RC&S board just like they do to the CC
>>boards. The piano would grade A+ or not on it's perceived acoustic
>>wonderfulness, regardless of the crowning method. Do you imagine that a
>>single one of these high strata pianists has even the remotest clue or
>>care for how their soundboard is crowned? I don't.
>
>I don't think they care either.  I would only have to assure them if the
>sound wasn't as good, but they were getting a piano that would be long
>lived at its inferior performance level.

If the sound wasn't as good, they wouldn't choose it in the first place,
would they? Or would they, like they do in Steinway Hall, choose what they
consider to be the best of what is offered, rather than holding out for the
best piano they ever heard or ever will hear - which is statistically
unlikely in any sampling of pianos of any manufacturer at any time? Then,
there's the problem that different people will chose different pianos as
their ideal piano of the moment, so it ultimately comes down to personal
taste and prejudice. By this, I don't mean prejudice for or against
building methods they are largely or totally unaware of, but the picture
that has formulated and evolved in their minds of that constitutes the
ideal sound. This is primarily why no one has said that good RC&S boards
sound better than good CC boards. It's non-quantifiable. No one can agree
on what constitutes good sound, though the worse the sound, the broader the
agreement on the assessment. Stuart's piano is a good example. Some say
it's the most wonderful thing by far that they have ever heard in their
lives, and others think it honks.

>>It wouldn't work that way. an RC&S board would have a different design.
>>It would have a scale and bridge placement designed for the occasion,
>>different rib set and cutoff bars, bracing, and different hammers than
>>the original. It's not just a matter of crowning the ribs.
>
>Why not?  I thought compression crowning was the potential problem. If
>there's a piano that I like the sound of, even if you think it's
>inadequately designed, why wouldn't it sound just as good by substituting
>a rib crowned board?
>
>Phil Ford

Which problem? Too many things are still being lumped together here as the
same concern. I read this as, if compression crowning produces potential
structural problems (this being the problem associated with them), why
won't a substituted rib crowned board sound just as good? Are you talking
about sound, or structure? What I mean is that the old CC board designs
evolved along with the rest of the piano. Aspects of each have been adapted
to aspects of the other. Dropping a state of the art Steinway style
diaphragmmed compression crowned board into a Yamaha without changing
anything else won't tell you much about which crowning system produces the
best sound, because they're considerably different beasts. Sure, crowning
ribs identical to the original and doing everything else the same can
produce a nice sounding piano, even a great sounding one. Quite possibly
the best sounding piano you've ever heard. From John Hartman's description,
I assume that's exactly what he's doing. But it isn't designed to be a RC&S
board, and is still primarily panel supported, so it doesn't answer your
question of whether a great sounding RC&S board can be made.

There are currently two manufacturers contributing to this list who are in
the process of beginning production of pianos with as close to pure RC&S
soundboards as you'll find anywhere. I am very much looking forward to the
results of both their efforts. The first couple of hundred production
pianos should give us all ample statistical samplings to form an opinion -
all of which will undoubtedly differ.

Ron N