compression ridges and hide glue/Ron N.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:56:32 -0500

>TSK! TSK! Ron! I certainly hope you are kidding!

Not altogether.

>After 72 hours, hide glue
>has lost 50% of it's holding power!

Which for general refelting, damper or pneumatic work, is still many times
the strength needed for the job. I typically use fresh glue hanging
hammers, but I have used old glue/new glue mix with no apparent problem.
Maybe another 25 years will tell me different, or all the hammers installed
with reheated glue have fallen off and nobody told me. That's a possibility
too. Also, does anyone have the figure for the strength degradation of hide
glue after the addition of the necessary chemistry to make it liquid and
storing it on the shelf for six months before it's even purchased? I seem
to recall (questionable worth) reading it was around 50% of hot hide, and
people are using it in soundboards.

>If it stinks, at all, (ie a sour smell),
>Dump It!

Of course. And if you leave an unplugged pot covered for a few days, that's
almost inevitable. Uncovered, it just dries out on top without growing
things. Reheated, with a bit of new glue and water added, it will be quite
adequate for most applications.

>BTW, most of the commercial pots, (usually quart size or years ago,
>a pint size), do not have the thermostat set to the proper temperature.
>Anything over 155-160 is too hot! (I prefer 130-140) ALWAYS  use a
>thermometer for best results.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Good point. High temperature degrades glue quicker than time in the pot.

Ron N