Yamaha grand action tweaks

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:17:20 -0700

on 9/28/03 2:25 PM, Cy Shuster at 741662027@charter.net wrote:

>> If you ever wanta know, I have 4 little tricks I do with a Yamaha grand
>> action that put it into a different realm, IMHO.

>We want to know!  Tell, please!

Ok, then.  Extremely simple, yet challenging to master.

1) The trick Antares shared with us 6-8 months ago:  reset the glides.
Set them as you would on any other piano, then turn them further down, at
least a half-turn, until the front edge of the keyframe is almost slapping.
Don't ask me why, and don't ask me how, but the whole treble end of the
piano wakes up & sings.

2) Weaken the damn repetition springs!  They kick like a horse on new
Yamahas. And I've found that most guys I follow up on a) don't weaken them
enough----verrryyyy slow in the bass; gradually---GRADUALLY---increasing in
strength 'til they're a little speedy, but with no discernible kick, in the
high treble---and b) don't take enough time---usually twice thru, 30-40
minutes---to get the rise really gradual and precise.

3) Jack position---be aggressive: set it  WELL toward the player, ahead of
the back line of the knuckle core.  Make SURE there's no jack cheating
before you move on.  In fact, I sometimes get even more aggressive, and
GET the jacks to cheat, then back 'em off just a little so they're just back
of the "cheatin' point."

4) Jack height----get real, real subtle.  When you "wink" the jack, you
want a SLIGHT movement in the hammer, and an even slighter feeling of the
jack tip rubbing the underside of the knuckle. Again, be precise; be
consistent; you'll feel the reward in the Spielart of the piano.

5) ***bonus tip: give the dang piano a precise, musical, intuitive tuning
with rock-solid, totally smooth unisons.

This seems, in my case, to force players to fall in love with the Yamahas I
prepare---and falling in love forces them to write a check for the piano---
which insures my relationship with the store that sells them, and burnishes
my legend as a wizard----if they only knew <g>.....

Hope this helps......DA