Compression ridges and hide glue.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:20:01 -0400

gordon stelter wrote:
> I was wondering today if glue-line creep could be
> considered a significant factor in the ( alleged )
> self-destruction of compression-crowned boards? After
> all, hide glue becomes fairly gelatinous in all but
> very low humidity, so this, combined with the glue
> line stress in CC boards could lead to premature
> failure, and increased compression-ridging.
>      But this may be much less of a  problem with
> modern glue types.
>     Right?
>     Thump

Well Thump,

I think you have this completely backward. Hide glue is the best glue
for panel edge joints. I had problems with pre made panels in the dark
past. They were glued with the other alternatives (probably Tightbond)
and I would have seasonal ridges at the joints. When I made my own
panels I used hide glue and never had the problem again. I have been
making my own panels ever since. Piano rebuilding is like baking; for
the best results make you own pie crust. And the old way with real
butter taste a lot better the Crisco.

I size the edges with thin hide glue the day before the glue up. Check
out the photo here:

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin