RC vs CC again (was Re: compression ridges)

Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:45:13 +0200

Really enjoyed reading this posting Dale. Same goes for Phil. I agree
with your observations, finding they echo my own. Tho I am not
experienced in replacing soundboards, I am certainly capable, as are
most of us who have read through so much informative opinion and
experience made available on this list over the years, of listening to
instruments and comparing their sound with each other, and with the
various postulations put forward by technicians both here, and
elsewhere.

The market does indeed play a fickle role, but to attribute the success
of Steinway through the years purely to that quality is something I am
not prepared to do. First and foremost because of what that says about
human kind. Secondly because it just and simply is far to fantastic
(direction fantasy).

Add to that my own experience and despite the very convincing
argumentation from the proponents of the RC method, I find too large a
discrepancy between theory and empiri at its most simple to accept the
proposition that

1:) CC panels are so inferior in their basic design that they should be
abandoned
and
2: That CC panels will necessarily succumb to compression damages that
among other things leads to the inevitable demise of their upper treble
range.

None of this should be misconstrued to mean that I have any criticism of
RC boards. In the end, it is the rebuilder who must take concern to
which method is too be employed. My view may someday change, views have
a habit of doing that :),,,, but as per today, seems to me both methods
can be very successfully executed resulting in delightfull, enduring,
and enriching sound.

Cheers, and thanks for a refreshing perspective.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.