compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:18:12 -0700

I think Mark Potter's summary covered the argument pretty well and is
consistent with what advocates of rib crowning have been saying.  I service
many many Steinways of varying ages and feel quite comfortable with my
technical and voicing skills.  You will have a very hard time convincing me
that there are not a number of them that have soundboard failure.  That
doesn't mean that you can't find a pleasing sound in them, but it also
doesn't mean that they couldn't be better when measured by things such as
clarity, power and sustain.  Those failures are not always a function of
age alone.  The fact that people love their Steinways or the degree to
which Steinway dominates market share should not be the criteria with which
we as technicians assess design and engineering.   While those things are
not unimportant, we have to be able to look beyond that.  I have customers
who love their Lester spinets too.  People often love what they are used to
and use that as a basis for expectations.  That is, until they sit down to
their friends' Steinway and discover that it produces a more powerful and
rounder tone with better sustain.   When a concert pianists goes through 25
pianos in order to pick one what is it that they are listening for?  The
marked differences in the instruments may well be a function of
preparation, touchweight dynamics etc..  But you can be sure that the tone
of each is also a function of how effectively the soundboard is working.
If we agree that a rib crowned board sounds as good as a compression board,
all things being equal, then their would be no reason to choose one over
the other.  The only issue to consider, then, would be how consistently can
one method produce good results over the other, and what is the likelihood
that one system will function to a higher level over time than the other.
The science strongly suggests that the rib crowned board has advantages in
those two areas.  He of many words who resides in Texas, has, by his own
admission, tight associations with many Steinway dealers and may have a
vested monetary interest in promoting Steinway (sarcasm intended), seems to
suggest that those arguing the case for rib crowned boards are doing it for
their own self interest and that their views on this subject are isolated
to this list.  My impression, from my own research and reading, is that
there are many soundboard installers using rib crowning and low or zero
compression crowning.  Look at the article by David Hughes in 1998 in the
PTJ , "A Survey of Bellymen...".  Most were crowing the ribs and only 1 of
12 was installing at 4% EMC.  Five years later, I wonder in which way the
trend has continued.  None of them, to my knowledge, are paying kickbacks
to those who generously offer the fruits of their research to the journal
and this list.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net