compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:41:03 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: davidlovepianos@earthlink.net ; Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 27, 2003 10:02 AM
  Subject: Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

  David... I understand this reasoning... along with all the market =
argumentation, and the traditionalist stuff... and sure... its most =
definantly a factor.. much bigger a factor then it should be.=20
  But for the life of me... I cant get these to even come close to =
covering the disparagy I find between the dominance of the market they =
have, and this self destructing soundboard proposition.=20

  That alone is too alarming a contrast for me to simply brush aside, =
which is where all this started this time around.=20

  Cheers=20
  RicB=20

There is more to life than market dominance. I am old enough to remember =
when the Cadillac ruled the world (at least the U.S. part of the world) =
in the luxury car market. It was, if you can recall, The Standard of the =
World. It was also a mediocre car that held its position through very =
aggressive and might I suggest, arrogant, marketing.

And then along came some viable alternatives first from Europe and then =
from Japan. It took these folks a while to build the requisite dealer =
infrastructure and momentum but "suddenly" the folks at GM were in =
serious trouble. They rallied on with their Standard of the World theme =
for years -- decades -- but no amount of marketing or brand management =
or badge engineering could reverse their tumble off the mountain. It =
took them another decade or so of mucking around in the mud with the =
have-beens but they finally got the picture. If you want to run with the =
best you actually have to be the best. Hype doesn't make it, it takes =
more than just claiming the title. Now that they've decided to fight =
back aggressively they are actually beginning to design, engineer and =
build some decent cars. Disregarding their somewhat grotesque styling =
theme, their performance and build quality is right up there with the =
best and I expect they will begin regaining some of their lost luster.

Market dominance is an elusive thing. It can be held without much effort =
as long as no one else is out their trying to knock you off the =
mountain. I've noticed some serious contenders, both from Europe and =
from Japan, working rather hard of late to do just that. Have you looked =
at the Kawai Shigeru pianos lately? To site just one example. We'll see. =
I wish them all well. The industry can't help but benefit from the =
increased competition.=20

Del