compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:44:22 -0500

>No. It means that some people like the sound that others dont... killer
>octaves
>included. And that there useage of the word "wrong" in the above quote is not
>quite appropriate...  and even tho I liked
>
>      "No, just that your interpretation of what you hear doesn't allow the
>possibility of soundboard problems."
>
>It still apparently assumes a problem exists whether the listener inteprets it
>such or not.

Of course the problem still exists. Being unaware of a brain tumor doesn't
mean you won't die from it, even if you're quite taken with all the pretty
colors. I tune a lot of pianos for years that I think have absolutely
wretched killer octaves, and have not mentioned a word of it to the owner.
Why? For them, it's not a problem. This doesn't mean that they like that
sound, or would chose it over the sound produced by a better functioning
board, though they well might. Then again, I often hear comments to the
effect that they wish their piano sounded as good as - insert wish-'s
piano, so they aren't all warm and happy with their pianos who's less than
wonderful tone is adequate for them and their budgets. Adequate is the key
word here, and when they don't know any different, yes, that's fine. But if
I'm installing a soundboard, I'm going to take every step available to me
to try to prevent that problem in my work. Killer octaves are fixed in the
design, assembly, and installation of the soundboard - not as a field
repair in the customer's living room. After the soundboard is built and in
a piano, it's too late.

Ron N