sustain

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:45:50 -0500

>Very true for most piano owners. But for those of us who "mess about with
>pianos", it is handy to be able to quantify (as best we can) the results
>of changes we make to pianos. But also we need to understand the
>limitations of our measurement techniques.
>
>Terry Farrell

That's true. It would be preferable to attempt to know what we're talking
about. Don's suggestion of timing until you can't separate the note from
the background noise is as good as any as long as the background noise is
minimal. Long un-muted rear duplexes tend to extend that somewhat as you
lose the note in the duplex ring before you lose the duplex ring in the
background.  In any case, it's a rough indication, rather than a precise
measurement.

Ron N