sustain

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:47:19 -0500

>Please describe, to the best of your (anyone out there) ability, at what
>point do you stop the stopwatch when quantifying sustain duration. I usually
>time it until just at the end of the point where I can still just barely
>hear anything that I can identify is still that note ringing - truly a
>judgement call. Is there any other considerations that some use - or are we
>all shooting at pretty much the same target?
>
>Terry Farrell

It can only be a rough point of comparison, subject to opinion and
interpretation, and therefore meaningless because it isn't absolutely
conclusive. Millions of piano owners around the world agree that they have
no idea and couldn't care less what the sustain is at any point in their
piano and they're perfectly happy with that, so why should we question it?
Who are we to disagree with all those piano owners? This is a handy
universal truth as it covers any aspect of piano technology that you might
care to name. Remember it and use it often.

Ron N