sustain

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:30:12 -0600

Hi Ric,

I look at c6 to be 8 seconds. I consider that a minimum standard--not
tremendous. Different strokes for different folks? *grin*.

>Don... 8 seconds at A6 is tremendous. At A4 this has well in excess of 12
>seconds... as do most pianos I know about

>> I believe our wonderful late friend Newton Hunt wanted 12 seconds at A4.

    Jeez, I rarely encounter a piano, grand or upright, large or small,  that rings for more than 5 or 6 seconds at C6.  That includes several 9 footers that I tune, not that length necessarily has anything to do with sustain.  --David Nereson, RPT