Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:09:01 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2003 8:27:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

One easy way to do this is to simply change the shape of the hammershank.
The currently in vogue hexagonal hammershank cross-section shape is not the
best. In fact, it's not really very good at all. Many early action makers
used a rectangular shape well out toward the end of the shank. Some of the
Pratt-Read shanks we used in the 1970s started out with this rectangular
shape extending out about 3/4 of the length of the shank in the bass, about
half way through the tenor, and about 1/4 the length in the treble. Why
this is no longer done is a mystery to me. I guess the idea didn't
originate in Germany.

Del

  Del
  The Abel shanks have gone to an all thinned shank.Though not the shape your
are referring to they seem to be made of very stiff Hornbeam, I'm guessing
now. What is your opinion of this. Mine is that it works well with modest hammer
weights but now wonder at action saturation with heavier hammers. The last
set I used was heavier than the octaganal shaped Renners. That's wood for you.
   Dale