Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:56:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 25, 2003 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

> Ah.... this clarifies something I've been wondering about for a while..
Thank
> you kindly.
>
> But back to how this relates to the origional  thrust of this thread
then....
> and again leaving the question of compliance aside for just a bit... is
there
> any reason why larger amounts of hammer mass (appropriatly dense for your
> purposes) traveling at increased amounts of velocity should be a problem
for
> the dynamics of sound... ie getting that smooth warm pp and graduating to
> bright forte ?

I don't know. I always keep coming back to the realistic problem of action
saturation. I do know that when I stiffened the hammershanks enough to
significantly increase hammer velocity (enough to measure and hear a
notable increase in tonal volume) the action no longer felt comfortable to
play.

I suppose if your name is Arnold....

Del