Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:15:02 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 25, 2003 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

> > >From my own tests with removing the compliance from various action
> > components I do know that it is possible to increase sound volume
without
> > introducing any noticeable distortion if you can control the motion of
the
> > hammer more precisely.
> >

> So what is it about loud booming sound then that you find unattractive
then Del
> ? Am I mistaken in understanding you much prefer to limit the upper
volume
> level of the piano ? Why ?

Yes, you are mistaken. I have no problem with extending the dynamic range
of the piano on both ends -- pianissimo and forte. I do not, however, find
it acceptable to extend the forte range at the expense of a smooth and warm
pianissimo. Once the sound becomes linear, i.e., losing dynamic expression,
we lose the essence of the pianoforte. One might as well buy a keyboard and
crank the volume up.

It is easy to provide the illusion of power by simply putting hard-pressed
hammers (of any reasonable mass) on most any piano regardless of how it is
built or designed. But what is lost is the warmth and expression. The idea
is to provide not just a volume control but a volume control coupled with a
tone control.

It is my opinion that many, if not most, modern piano makers have taken the
easy road to power by simply making the hammers dense and fluffing the
surface to get them out the door. Give the things a few months or years of
reasonable play and the start to sound like rocks. Then it your fault
because you can't voice the things to make them sound like new.

Del

Del