Steinway K Double flange

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:28:06 EDT

           Mark
      All replacement parts of any brand can and have, in my experience ,have
on occasion develop center problems. Renner,Abel ,Tokiwa.etc. All center pin
fitting is done by humans with hands and therefore is subject to occasional
problems. I've had renner & Yamaha parts sieze up hard. Shrinking or refitting
the center pin bushing is usally the coarse of remedy there. As to the rep
spring problem in Tokiwa, I find these parts seem to have this problem as well as
squeaking knuckles. These problems are solved by lubrication. In spite of that
they are good parts.  I have my own prefrences for parts for my own reasons.
    Tokiwa does have some wippens for Chickeings and Knabes that nobody else
has. I believe the parts are getting better and the guys at Pacific piano who
import them, are trying hard to offer a quality part and are responsive to
your feedback. Give them a call.
   Dale Erwin
Mark writes:<< I've done a couple of these with all new Tokiwa parts - Yamaha
dampers
and it's a royal pain! After examining some new K's I've wondered if one
could simple but a new style action frame from NY and install the new
Renner parts on it. Expensive, but it would make regulating and future
service much easier. Also I remain unconvinced of the longevity of the
Tokiwa parts - the more of them that I see, the less I like them. >>

Greetings,
   I used Tokiwa parts for several Steinway grands at Vanderbilt back in the
mid 1980's and those actions are still in use, still functioning extremely
well.  There was less pinning problems than the factory parts at the time,
and
there was much less papering needed to travel and space them when I installed
them!
Have some things changed??
Wondering
Ed Foote RPT