FW: Tokiwa parts (was Steinway K Double flange)

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:27:22 -0400

In the last year I put in two sets of the Tokiwa "Miracle Wips" with the
movable heel and wippen assist spring. Both sets have ongoing problems
with squeeking rep-lever springs (they squeek in the slots) which also
causes erratic hammer rise due to the increased friction. In addition,
one of these sets has occasional problems where either the jack or
wippen flange pinning becomes tight to the point of not functioning. I
have measured friction on some of these at over 40 grams!!!

- Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: A440A@aol.com [mailto:A440A@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 12:49 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Steinway K Double flange

Mark writes:

<< I've done a couple of these with all new Tokiwa parts - Yamaha
dampers
and it's a royal pain! After examining some new K's I've wondered if one
could simple but a new style action frame from NY and install the new
Renner parts on it. Expensive, but it would make regulating and future
service much easier. Also I remain unconvinced of the longevity of the
Tokiwa parts - the more of them that I see, the less I like them. >>

Greetings,
   I used Tokiwa parts for several Steinway grands at Vanderbilt back in
the
mid 1980's and those actions are still in use, still functioning
extremely
well.  There was less pinning problems than the factory parts at the
time, and
there was much less papering needed to travel and space them when I
installed
them!
Have some things changed??
Wondering