Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:46:14 -0700

Even if saturation were not an issue, it seems that  the upper level that
the piano will produce is limited by the soundboard.  As pianists we know
that beyond ff, many pianos probably don't produce any more sound.  The
board seems to reach a point where it simply cannot put out anything more
without the tone becoming distorted--it becomes just more noise.  You may
play fff or ffff, but the effect of a greater range of loudness must often
be created by either lowering the level of your ff to begin with, liberal
use of the pedal, or the use of psychology--increasing the perceived
loudness by a more vigorous display of physical effort, tricking the
listener/observer into believing that it must be louder.  Combine that with
the fact that you will not be able to play a heavy hammer as softly as a
lighter hammer due to simple mass differences (and assuming that the high
ratio action does not create a slower hammer speed at which you can play),
throw in a little saturation and the net gain might turn out to be a net
loss.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net