Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:31:40 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 24, 2003 12:55 PM
  Subject: Re: Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

  =20

  Compliance yes... but will the higher ratio yield higher hammer =
velocity for same hammer weight ? At what hammer weight (given action =
parts materials) will compliance become such an issue that it defeats =
any increase in action ratio ?=20

I don't know. You'll have to set up the test yourself. Back when I was =
measuring this stuff I used a single action and varied only the hammer =
mass.=20

  And doesnt the stored energy in compliance flex have to be released =
some how regardless... doesnt some of this end up coming out on the =
hammer / string impact end of the <<equation>> ?=20

Yes it does ... and, no it doesn't. Once the action saturation point has =
been reached the excess energy is released after the hammer has struck =
the strings and has rebounded to check. After that it no longer matters =
how much energy is stored in the key and action mechanism.

  Then... action saturation.... when is too early ?? or is there such a =
thing as too early  or too late saturation ?...=20

I'd say it is too early any time the key bottoms out before the hammer =
strikes the string(s) under "normal" playing conditions. I'll leave the =
pounder trying desperately to destroy the piano with a great and =
marvelous display of his or her great virtuosity and utter lack of =
musicality out of the discussion. But even with normal playing some lag =
between the key motion and the hammer motion is inevitable with any =
mechanical action made up of compliant materials and springy levers. =
Only by reducing the compliance and/or bendability of the various =
components you can delay action saturation. But by doing so you also =
make it harder on the hands and arms of the pianist.

Del