Boston verts break-in? (xpost)

DCrpt@comcast.net DCrpt@comcast.net
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:56:27 +0000

       I was told to put "chemicals" on the hammers by a Boston Tech. rep.I
have done it on several occaisions with good results.The key is to use very
little acetone/keytop sollution,just a few drops on the crowns.At the
convention this summer in Dallas,I attened the Stienway presentation about
Hamburg S'ways.Now I know that the Boston hammer is not exactly the same as
the Hamburg Renners,but they are the same type.At the class the instructor
said in some cases you can brush the hammers with light sollution of lacquer
and thinner on the shoulders and only strike point in treble.It would be nice
if we could magically make hammers do what we want without "chemicals" but
sometimes real life situations call for drastic measures.
       I  think dopeing hammers has gotten a bad rep. because some technicians
don't know what they are doing.Before altering a hammer as drastically as will
with lacquer or acetone/keytops,I would make sure I attended several classes
on laquering and some just on voiceing.When used carefully alterations to
hammers with laquer or other materials does not ruin them,and can make the
customer or performer very happy with the piano and you.      Robin Olson