String vibrations (was Re: Stuart)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:33:11 -0700

So.... just why is it you two Rons are interested in the bridge agraffe. You
dont buy into it steering the strings vibration at all. Is there some real
justification for declaring it to be simply a more efficient transfer of
energy
mechanism ?.. ie brass, or some metal over wood ? Or do you have other
advantages in mind as well ?

RicB

Ric,
I buy into it as well. In that, that a metal termination, (coupled to a wood
vibrating body), will definately be more efficient. As far as tone goes, I
think it lends to an entirely different sound, (like the difference between
a Pleyel and a Yamaha kinda difference!).
I've always liked the sound of a piano, (especially in the bass<G>), of
pianos with the top termination being wood. The tone, to me, is richer, less
strident, but at the same time less powerful. When manufacturers changed
these terminations to metal, (of whatever kind), in search of a "more
powerful piano", they, IMHO, had to forget about or at least put on a lower
priority, the real TONE that I think a piano should have. For me, "Power" be
damned! I prefer carrying characteristics and balanced tone of the entire
instrument!
As for these HUGE hammers, made out of granite, etc., that are supposed to
provide "more power", see above. Dumb, IMO. The piano can only have so much
"power" and beyond that it ceases to be a PIANO!

Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I