Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:58:58 +0200

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> DUH number two.  I mean come on guys... we all know downsides of heavy
> hammers. If increased wear and tear is the best ya'll can do then I dont
> see why more instruments dont employ them.... but thats not at all what
> I was asking about.
>
> RicB
>
> Ric,
> Is this the puzzler of the month? By your tone, you already know, (what you
> think), to be the answer(s). <G>

No Joe :)... no puzzler... that is to say not more then that I am as much a
puzzle-ee as anyone else. Just trying to get thoughts about some basic action
setups that seem to have been just taken for granted for like ever. For
example, one thought is that perhaps one of the origional reasonings behind
whippen assist springs was to allow for the highest hammer velocity for key
velocity while at the same time keeping heavy hammers and light keys. We talk
daily of the action ratio.. even drop comments about what key leading amounts
are desireable due to what key inertia levels they yeild...

But what seemingly ignore the action inertia ratio, and just happens to be that
this configuration is the one that yeilds the highest inertia ratio. Perhaps
this isnt so dumb after all ??? I dont know... just musing. How does this kind
of action "feel"... heavy, light... good heavy, bad heavy... how is it to
controll ?? Maybe we are all barking up the wrong tree in looking at static
action ratios and thinking its going to really tell us much about how the
action feels and plays. Nope.. I dont have an answer... thats why I put up the
question.

PS

The wear and tear argument about heavy hammers alone is kinda weak at best.
Things wear out anyways and regardless we have to replace them. But thats
another thread entirely.