String vibrations (was Re: Stuart)

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:41:45 +1000

>At 8:25 AM -0700 22/9/03, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>It seems that the better sustain and clarity of the bridge agraffe is not
>due to the direction of the vibration, but simply because it provides a
>better termination (all metal) than the conventional bridge pin and wood
>termination.
>What do you think?

Hi Joe,

Yes, I suspect that when the agraffe is firmly fixed to the bridge
(and they don't seem always to be, since they can exhibit falseness
as well), they will produce a cleaner tone with better sustain than a
conventionally pinned bridge. Like Phil Ford, I don't subscribe to
the theory of any termination being capable of influencing the mode
of vibration. Furthermore if it did, as Phil also mentioned, this
would lead to a reduction in sustain with a higher initial sound
pressure level. While I have no doubt that a properly executed bridge
agraffe system could be very good, I suspect that some of the claimed
benefits attributed to it is just 'smoke and mirrors'.

Two things worry me about using bridge agraffes (I admit that I am
interested in using them at some point).

The first is that the agraffe takes up valuable bridge height. If,
for example, the string plane is say 8 mm higher than the bridge on
account of the agraffe taking up the space, a piano with such an
agraffe will have only 24 mm high bridges if the string plane is 32
mm above the panel. I consider 24 mm as an inadequate height for the
long bridge, and all pianos which I have so far experienced with such
low bridges seem to exhibit tonal problems. Therefore, the bridge
agraffe should be designed with the lowest practical height between
the top of the bridge and the string plane. Alternatively, one could
build a panel with another bridge under the sound board as Grotrian
did with some of their early grand pianos, but this would push the
cost of the piano up quite a bit.

The second concern I have with using bridge agraffes is fixing them
permanently to the bridge. Of the bridge agraffed pianos I have
heard, I suspect that this can be a problem. It may be possible to
achieve a good connection by using West system glue between the
agraffe and the bridge, and using machine screws to secure the
agraffe to the bridge, while at the same time gluing them into the
bridge with West system. Stephen Paulello's agraffes are glued to the
bridge. Take a look again at the following close-up image of his
agraffe. A light blue adhesive can be seen at the junction of the
agraffe with the bridge.

http://www.overspianos.com.au/plello1.jpg

Notice also that its quite a good design since it has a low height
from the bridge to the string plane. Unfortunately, this design could
not be used for trichord stringing.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY