Glue cleanup on ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:09:54 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2003 9:34:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:
>Hello Dale. I'm looking for a few more details describing your (or
>anyone's) center-pin-anti-skid methods.

I use upholstery tacks. Like thumb tacks except they're longer. Clipped to
about 9-10mm length, they go through the feathered rib ends and about 5mm
into the panel. If everything is squared up and centered, the middle of the
long ribs doesn't skate enough to be a problem. If it does, that few grains
of fine sand John mentioned will help. Skating with Titebond, on Spruce
anyway, means you probably have too much glue. Pressurize the clamp slowly,
and it's not hard to keep under control - usually.

The ribs are already feathered, and I let the fire hose conform to their
contours with no additional spacers for clamping.

Ron N
  Ron now that you mention it I haven't encountered any skid with the tight
bond only the cold hide. I'll try the next one with out the no. 6 bridge pins
and tight bond. Great one less step to do!
   I find that I need the cut off pieces on the feathered ends for more
uniform pressure. Partly because my deck is crowned steeper (45 to 50ft.) than my
60ft. radius top cauls.Which means the top cauls need to set in such a way so
as to conform to the needs of the middle of the rib as well as the ends. This
requires a bit more futzing but I'm not inclined to change it at this point.
    The deck I made used to belong in a go-bar setup then I bought the top
pneumatic cauls from another tech estate. wala custom convolution of pressing
devices. Ain't life great!