How do you get them to shut the #%$@ up?

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:53:42 EDT

I hit the wrong button earlier, and sent a message that wasn't complete. I=20
sent a corrected version but it didn't appear. Anyway, here's the complete=20
message. Not that it's so important, but I hate sending out a message that m=
akes no=20
sense.

Susan writes:

> You have pointed out the problem yourself: the irritation you feel. If you=
=20
> start from a feeling of adequate power over the situation, you will probab=
ly=20
> find yourself putting up with minor noise, almost without noticing it. The=
n=20
> when it is simply too bothersome, you put down your hammer, walk to the=20
> source, and ask them to be quieter. It's completely up to you when to do t=
his, so=20
> you don't have to suffer long enough to get really angry. I think that the=
=20
> anger comes from a sense of helplessness, which is a decision on our part.=
=20
>=20

Well said, Susan,

I remember a busy tuning day years ago, when the clock chimed twelve. It=20
seemed to take an hour. I was irritated at the customer for not noticing and=
=20
turning it off. Then came an epiphany (in the sense of=A0 "a sudden percepti=
on of the=20
essential nature or meaning of something" from the MW dictionary). If I can'=
t=20
stop long enough to let the clock strike, what does that say about the natur=
e=20
of my relationship to my business!! Ever since, every time the clock chimes=20
at a customer's house, I smile at the memory of the revelation, and take a=20
well-deserved couple of deep breaths.=20

Bob Davis