Glue cleanup on ribs

Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:54:13 -0700

Short nails with a sharper and more tapered point would probably be better (even predrilled) to insure that you don't split the ribs.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 9/20/2003 7:16:40 PM
Subject: Glue cleanup on ribs

      Trix and I pressed up a S&S O board today. We tried using tight bond again but tried to get a better feel for just the right amount of glue to apply so that only a small amount of squezze came at the out when we turned up the 40 P.S.I  air pressure. It worked much better and the samller amounts of glue were more easily cleaned up with damp rags and dry paper towell. With only 11 ribs the spacing between cauls was wider and 1& 1/2 hrs. This will probably continue to be our chosen method.
   Also on a different subject ,on occasion we've had the ribs scoot sideways as we apply pressure (this happened with go bars to)  so we install short center pins into the ribs glue surface to keep them from skidding sideways when the pressures turned up.
   Dale Erwin
   Erwins Piano Restoration