String vibrations (was Re: Stuart)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:33:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Consider:
>
>The Stuart bridge agraffes steer the string excursion in the vertical
>direction for better tone and longer sustain.
>
>The Wapin bridge modification steers the string excursion in the
>horizontal direction for better tone and longer sustain.
>
>Ron N

Exactly.... but how do they compare in that effort. Might be interesting to
have the same kind of data on the Stuart as is available for the Wapin.

--
Richard Brekne

-------------
I think that anybody that thinks he is 'steering' the string vibration one
way or another is kidding himself.

Phil Ford

Just for kicks see:

http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jos/waveguide/Horizontal_Vertical_Transverse_Waves.html

and:

Unusual motions of a nonlinear asymmetrical vibrating string
R J Hanson???, H K Macomber???, A C Morrison???
???Univ. of Northern Iowa, Physics, Cedar Falls, IA, United States; ???Northern
Illinois Univ., Physics, DeKalb, IL, United States

A rich variety of unusual motions of a sinusoidally driven vibrating string
results from nonlinearities due to varying tension and longitudinal motion
not included in simple linear theory and to intrinsic asymmetries in the
string. In a brass harpsichord string(wire) the asymmetries cause a small
splitting of each natural frequency of free vibration into two closely
spaced frequencies (relative separation ~ 0.2% to 2%.) The two frequency
components are associated with transverse motion along two orthogonal
"characteristic" wire axes. The absolute amount of splitting for a given
wire is inversely dependent on the tension. Introduction of a twist in the
wire can also affect the amount of splitting. These asymmetric properties
have a profound effect on the nonlinear behavior. Detailed measurements of
the resulting features of the motion of a driven string have been reported
(Hanson et al., Proceedings of ISMA 2001, pp. 157-160.) Generation of
higher harmonics and of motion perpendicular to the driving direction
result in elaborate motions which can suddenly change from one state to
another. Emphasis will be on some motion patterns of a point on the wire as
exhibited on videotape (e.g., one appearing almost chaotic but with a
pattern period of over 10 seconds.)