Scales

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:40:01 -0700

Hmmm? Two in one day! Yikes!
To assume that each piano, of the same model, etc., has exactly the same
speaking lengths, etc., is truly FOLLY. This is the problem of using other
known data from "similar" pianos. Although Travis's work was to be admired,
in it's effort and scope, the whole concept is flawed. I discovered this
years ago. ( I have two copies of the Travis Book. Anyone want one? It'd be
yours for the cost of shipping!) Since that time, I have made it a policy to
do a "Scale Evaluation" of every piano that comes to my shop, without
exception. Many have been "Re-scaled". Whereas, a few have retained their
original scale. (This is definitely "a few"!) Most that did retain their
original scale, were, without exception, pianos from very high end
Manufacturers, made during the hay-day of manufacturing.
In regard to today's two requests, the Yamaha would very likely be a
candidate for using other known data, as they manufacture to such tight
quality control standards. I suspect, it would be OK. However, when we go to
all the trouble to re-string a piano, aren't we trying to make the piano
BETTER? If your answer is yes, then it behooves you to SERIOUSLY look at
"Scale Evaluation" and then possibly, "Re-Scaling". Then you will have a
scale that is "Custom" unto that piano's various foibles and idiosyncrasies.
Thus, making the piano BETTER. A side benefit to all this, is that you can
have some control as to how your Bass Strings are made and to what
tolerances, etc.! If the Bass is not right, it's just a pyaner. Allowing
String makers to pick and choose, to their various whims, is also FOLLY.
(IMHO)<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police