Ca pin block repair-broken tuning pin

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:34:31 +0200

On zondag, sep 14, 2003, at 23:14 Europe/Amsterdam, David M. Porritt
wrote:

> I agree with you......kind of.  When I find loose tuning pins the
> possibility of the block's being split enter's my brain.  I know if
> there are several loose pins in a line it is most likely split.  If
> you drive larger pins in, you just spread that crack and make the
> neighboring pins even looser.  So.... if there is even that
> possibility, I'd rather just CA it.  "First, do no harm!"
>
> dave

But I did not even mean blocks being split.
I am of the opinion that when 1 or more tuning pins are not tunable
anymore, that it is high time to re-pin and re-string the whole
instrument.
If you then happen to find serious cracks, so much the better that you
took the trouble to take off the strings and remove the frame.
It is the difference between giving somebody an aspirin or a by-pass.

(I'll take the aspirin btw)

antares
the Netherlands

www.concertpianoservice.nl