Travis Tuning pin....

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:56:23 -0700

I wonder if anyone else had had the following problem with the "Travis tunig
pin & coil cleaner." The actual "kit" is great--it's the Schaff replacement
bushings that are TERRIBLE! The original rubber bushings that come WITH the
kit all fit perfectly, and I can easily do a whole set of pins and use only
3-5 bushings.

However, the Schaff replacement bushings, I just today discovered, (and I
bought TWO bags of 100 each) do NOT FIT the steel cylinder; they are either
too small, and "spin" in the cylinder, rendering it  totally USELESS, or
they are too large, and can barely be forced into the chamber! The very few
that DO fit, (maybe 15-20%) end up crumbling and FLYING apart, because the
rubber is MUCH harder and when it gets hot from spinning around the
pin/coil, starts to disintegrate! What's the deal?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I gave most of the "original"
leftover bushings (from the kit) to a fellow tech friend, so I was left with
what I thought was a large reserve of the replacement bushings...but little
did I know!  Maybe someone on this list knows this Travis person's email, so
I can relate this problem directly to him. He wouldn't be John W. Travis, of
"A Guide to restringing" fame? I cannot find a contact email or phone number
for him either. I await wisdom from the list. thanks!

Terry Peterson

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam