New Center Pin Design

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:25:02 -0300

This was on Yamahas that had the loosening of the plates just starting.
I was able to loosen the plate further, and just push the plate in without causing any damage. They just slipped back into position easily.
The then, Yamaha Canada service manager, then had Yamaha ship the pianos to Canada with 'normal' flanges, although he said the US still was getting the ones with plates.
This was about 15-20 years ago.
If the action had the screws tightened up, about a year after the piano was delivered, this problem did not seem to arise.

Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 2:23 PM
  Subject: Re: New Center Pin Design

  Yes indeed you are right John. It has the plates that are loose - but being that the secure the pins, does that not mean the pins are loose as well? (ha, ha) As Richard pointed out, it looks like some have migrated into the neighboring flange bushing - I've seen that before.

  Regarding pushing the pin back in - I've tried that, and I guess I have knocked enough bushings out now that I tend to just repin it and not worry about pushing the bushing out of the flange. Maybe your luck is better?

  Terry Farrell