Bandsaw blades

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:20:45 -0700

Terry asked: "BTW: How does one dispose of dull bandsaw blades - nasty
little critters?"

Terry,
Take the "good" ones into be sharpened! There must be someone who does that,
in your area.
they can be sharpened many times, if they're decent blades, to begin with.
The blades that I have been using, with very nice results, are "Olson". They
seem to hold their "sharpness" for a goodly amount of time.
On the back of the box is a whole list of "How to Choose the Correct Blade
Material". The types they describe are: 1. Hard edge, flex back (FB). 2.
Furniture/Cabinet Makers (FN). 3. Hard Edge, Hard Back, (HB). 4. Bi-Metal
(BM) and 5. Narrow Woodcutting, (WB).
Unfortunately, from the last MS Update fiasco, my scanner is being goofy, so
I can't scan the whole load of information they have on the back of the box.
So, I'll give you the titles/considerations they list.
1. "How to choose the Correct Tooth Style"
2. "How to choose the Correct Blade width"
3. "How to choose the Correct Number of Teeth Per Inch, (TPI)"
4. "Contour Sawing Chart"
5. "How to Install your Band Saw Blade on 2 Wheel Vertical Band Saws"
These blades were replacements for a bunch that had, inadvertantly, been
sent to the "Recycling Bin", by my sharpener. <G> He did me a BIG favor, on
that one! These blades are so far superior to the ones I had, it's
unimaginable!
I hope this helps.
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)