Something different

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:54:19 +0200

Phillip Ford wrote:

> I've long been a Feurich fan. I see them occasionally as there used to be a dealer in LA (Comsky).  They used to make a model with a striking rosewood case which I would see from time to time.  I bought an early 70's 227 from a customer a couple of years ago.  It needed some action work and a little spiffing up of the gloss finish, but otherwise was in nice condition.  My intention was to spruce it up a bit and sell it.  But I ended up liking it so well I've kept it around the shop as my personal instrument.  Nice piano.  Not a big bass considering the size, but crisp, clean, and nicely balanced.  I like it.  I believe the factory may have gone through some ownership or management changes since that time (as has Germany) so I'm not sure if the company is the same now as it was.  Perhaps someone out there knows more about them.
>
> Phil Ford

Hi Phil.. I like Feurich instruments very well also. Have a few oldies laying around that have held up really well. Seem actually a bit better then a couple I see from around 15 years ago. I havent seen a brand new one for a while now. However... here is an Interesting quote from their rebuilding folks that I thought might be good for everyones edification.

     "Beside our mainbusiness, making new pianos, we like to extend our rebuilding department and would like to offer you our knowledge and service to rebuild or even restaurate your or your customers piano. Certainly we also like to see a piano look nice, but first of all a piano has to play and sound very well. Therefore we offer
     all kinds of rebuildings made to customers choice. Please note that we do not replace soundboards, because we doubt very much that this will be to an advantage of the older piano. Instead of this we very carefully dry-out the soundboard, stretch it and chim the board with best fine spruce chims so that a nice new crown will be possible.To keep the old soundboard always will be better for the piano and for the sound.Too many different ways of installing the soundboard had been used during the times. Every maufacturer has its own system how they did it. Therefore it would destroy the basic design of a piano if a soundboard would be changedlike a piece of furniture."

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne