Steinway M

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:39:06 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> -> Robin
> >
> > At the risk of being accused of mutual stroking once again. I have to
> aggree
> > with nearly every point you make. And I appreciate the care you take in
> > avoiding personalizing the discussion.
>
> Yes, well, I can understand why wouldn't notice where Mr Hufford gets
> personal.

Can you now ?? Pretty good for someone who's never met me. But come... let us
reason... Where does he get personal ??? He mentions no-ones names, he
expresses anxiety over the down-shouting of opposing views that others have
mentioned on both sides of this and other issues, and he points his finger very
much like  the same vague (and in my book polite,  if not more so) fashion as
most (tho not all)  others have done before him... also on both sides.

Where I aggree with Robin most... is that this is destructive and
counterproductive to any real educational value this list has. I've said so
several times in the past. But he's not far off target about the double
standardness of some of this <<accusing the traditionalists of stiffling
progress >> bit either, and he's far from alone in that concern.

You yourself know as well or better then perhaps most others just how
destructive and frustrating the resistance to the acceptance of others ideas
is. You and others remind us of this often and we aggree. But that kind of
resistance has the same effect no matter who the quilty party is. Would you
seriously desire to simply replace one dogma with another ?? Who can possibly
really learn anything if somebody else always does the thinking for them ?...
What purpose does it serve to snub others because they either think
differently, or are less informed, or are on a different plane, or whatever the
cause for dissagreement is... what purpose does the degrading have ?? Certainly
nothing to do with education.

> On the other hand, I suppose I should be flattered instead of insulted
> despite his intent. After all, to seriously compare a 4' 11" piano designed
> primarily with economy in mind and subsequently built of the cheapest
> possible materials in the cheapest possible way with one of the most
> expensive 5' 7 1/2" pianos on the market...well, I rest my case.

Sigh... so thats what he did ?? Compared them seriously ?? Attempted to insult
you ?? I did'nt see that there at all. I saw more of a "look who's calling the
kettle black" without using anyones name.

> Del

I say again.. all this isnt about winning the discussion, or whatever other
reasons anyone might have. Aside from the pure value of learning new things and
improving our abilities, the discourse here has at best some limited (and
laced) social value.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.