Black Hole Bass Note

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:22:22 -0500

Gimme a break. It can't be a "note" unless it IS in the range of human
hearing. It is, be definition, NOT a sound. It may be a huge oscillating
energy source with a "beat" every two weeks or so, but it is not a
sound.

But talk about your "slow roll!" I'm such a perfectionist, I'd be trying
to tune it out. Ha.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Musselwhite
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 5:39 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: OT: Black Hole Bass Note

Hi Folks...

I ran across this on the NASA mailing list, and while it doesn't really
have anything to do with pianos, it mentions them. The entire news
release
should be found at http://chandra.nasa.gov but here is an excerpt:

"RELEASE: 03-284

CHANDRA "HEARS" A BLACK HOLE

      NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory detected sound waves, for the
first time, from a super-massive black hole. The "note" is the deepest
ever detected from an object in the universe. The tremendous amounts of
energy carried by these sound waves may solve a longstanding problem in
astrophysics. [...] "We have observed the prodigious amounts of light
and heat created by black holes, now we have detected the sound," said
Andrew Fabian of the Institute of Astronomy (IoA) in Cambridge, England,
and leader of the study.

In musical terms, the pitch of the sound generated by the
black hole translates into the note of B flat. But, a human would have
no chance of hearing this cosmic performance, because the note is 57
octaves lower than middle-C (by comparison a typical piano contains only
about seven octaves). At a frequency over a million, billion times
deeper than the limits of human hearing, this is the deepest note ever
detected from an object in the universe."

And apropos from another list... "The universe is full of amazing
things,
waiting patiently for our wits to grow sharper."

			John

---