Crowned Ribs on M&H?

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:09:09 -0400

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> P.S. You mention in defense of the compression-crowned soundboard that you
> "maintain literally dozens of elder Steinways and Mason & Hamlins, most
> with original boards, some 100 or more years old..." and go on to extol
> their acoustic virtues. You are aware, I trust, that M&H has long used
> crowned ribs. That's not the same thing.  -- ddf

Del,

Not to give you a hard time but the last time I was at the M&H plant a
few years ago the ribs I saw were certainly flat not crowned. They have
a large rack with rows of rib stock machined and ready to be glued to
there boards. There bottom surfaces were nicely profiled in the usual
manner. If there was any crown to these it wasn't deliberate. Also I
have not noticed any more evidence of crowned ribs on older M&Hs than I
do on older S&Ss. When you remove a old M&H board from the case it look
pretty much like an old Steinway Board. Flat as a pancake. I am not sure
if machined crowned ribs of the usual dimensions would show much sign of
there heritage after many years. At least I have never come across ribs
that were obviously crowned on these two makes.

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin