Steinway M

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:38:17 -0400

Dear List,
	Thanks to all for your replies both on and off list concerning
my comments about the Steinway "M".
      I realize that I placed myself on a somewhat slippery slope by
commenting about design rather than condition, but my customer asked my
opinion about this model.
	My experience of almost 30 years and my direct experience with
Steinway M's of recent vintage led me to encourage my client toward a
larger piano, not excluding other Steinway models.
	The young man for whom this purchase is intended is a very
talented pianist and although this would be an obvious improvement from
his studio piano I honestly don't think at the asking price that a five
year old M is the best piano available. I wasn't Steinway bashing, just
expressing my opinion that $ 39,000 could buy more piano.
	Case in point --I watched the Kid play a 6'1" Falcone today at
less than half that price and its purchase is under serious
consideration.
	I feel comfortable in my advice to this family and the dealer
reportedly sold the Steinway to the next in line.
	Again, I appreciate your collective and VARIED opinions.
	Tom Driscoll RPT