Steinway M

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:30:33 EDT

Tom;
 I am coming in late on this but............you have received many excellent
might be helpful..........
 We 'all' tend to be a trifle anal retentative on those aspects of
design/manufacture that pique our interest and if you were to put all those 'a/r' areas
together on any piano...none would be fit to play or purchase! :-)
 The model 'M' is not immune to this syndrome and in fact is probably more
likely to be overexposed because we all can see soooo much potential in the
basic design that does not always show up in the finished product.
 Yeah the touch can be bad, killeroctaves can suck, the break can be
horrendous, the sustain can be nonexistant, etc..etc.... but doe the "particular" 'M'
in question have any of these p[roblems when you see and evaluate it? That is
the question you must answer for a customer.........after all they are asking
about that particular instrument not a discussion of all the flaws in design
of the marque and model.....don't you think?

 Pianos are rather like 1/4 inch drills of which millions are sold each year.
These drills are sold because somebody wants a round hole and not because of
better design......with pianos, people want good sounding music and for the
most part could care less about the particular design problems in a given
instrument....as long as the customer likes the looks, feel and sound of the piano
the customer will like that piano.........   'If' a particualr instrument
displays inadequacies, of the design type, than it would be reasonable to discuss
those faults associated with 'that' piano without spreading the brush broadly
over the entire line/model series.

 Our job is to help the customer find a 'single' good piano and not needfully
to warn them against any particular thingee...rather thingees to watch for in
general.... but this is just my view and others have already shared their
view which are well taken also.
Jim Bryant (FL)