further education

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 07:51:51 -0500

Hi Joe,

I tried a ball style hammer once but the shaft was longer than what you
described.  I found the shaft to flex way too much in newer pianos that had
tighter pins so I felt a loss of control.  I can see how the ball hammer
you describe below would alleviate this situation.

In my opinion, any well-designed hammer (whether impact, ball, or
traditional) can produce a quality tuning as it's not the hammer so much as
the technique that is used with the hammer to turn the pin and settle the
string.

My point in recommending the impact hammer was, in my opinion, that it is
easier to learn for a brand new tuner.  I would also make the statement
that you can make smaller incremental changes with an impact hammer than
with a traditional lever.  I think the advantages of this a great
especially in the upper treble, where having the ability to make extremely
small incremental changes in the pin (while minimizing bend and twist) is a
requirement for accuracy and stability.

There are many long-time tuners that use impact hammers almost exclusively
(Dean Reyburn is one example).  I'm always amazed to find a lack of
articles and information on impact levers.  I think they are one of the
greatest inventions to modern tuning.  I will admit that the T-style
hammers for grands do take a bit of getting used to.  They are a bit more
awkward than a traditional lever but the advantages remain the same.

I'd love to hear any of your comments.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      "Joe And Penny
                      Goss"                    To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      <imatunr@srvinet.        cc:
                      com>                     Subject:  Re: further education
                      Sent by:
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      09/07/2003 08:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

Hi Corte.
You might find this hard to believe but my last choice of a hammer would be
an impact tuning lever such as the ones that are on the market today. The
Grand T is an idea to have a impact hammer that will tune both uprights and
grand pianos as well as provide some relief to tuner who are starting to
feel the years of wear tuning with a regular tuning hammer.
 My personal choice of hammers is a wand style hammer with a very stiff
shaft 20% head and loose tip. With this hammer I am able to tune with a
impact style or smooth pull which ever the tuning pin needs. Usually it is
an impact technique from the low bass up to arround F6 or F7 where a
combination of smooth pull with impact to settle the pin is necessary for
me
to feel confident that the pin/string whatever are in a place where they
will stay LOL
 The reason that I prefer the wand style is that the hammer is far less
stressful on the shoulder { elbow can remain at belly button level most of
the time } than the traditional cigar handle and can be used easily on
grands with no change in technique. Well mayby a slight change. On grands I
find myself using any spot on the ball or shaft to bump the pin down.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com